Today we sit down with Trey Ratcliff, a futurist, photographer, filmmaker, and the man behind the world’s number one travel photography site, StuckInCustoms.com, where Trey focuses on not only the imaginatively realistic travel photos he takes and shares daily, but the stories behind them.
He’s overcome blindness in one eye to become an astoundingly talented photographer, and a pioneer in High Dynamic Range, or HDR, photography, and whose works now hang at the Smithsonian Institute.
Among a number of other projects, sites, and apps, Trey also founded The Arcanum, a private institution to teach artists in the digital age using technology to exist in a sort of augmented reality / mega-multiplayer online game / measured creative community hybrid-thing. And even though it’s not completely travel related, we get into his plans for the platform.
What We Cover:
- How travel inspired Trey into a creative life of travel, photography, and creativity.
- How taking a creative approach towards your travel photography can help you get more from your travel experience, enhance your memories of the places you’ve been, better share the “feeling” of the places you’ve been, and expose and connect others to the world.
- HDR photography, what it is and why Trey went looking for it before it went mainstream.
- How the human race is becoming more and more connected, like a super organism and how travel relates to this.
Words from an Explorer:
“If you can communicate the sense of a place to a people who aren’t there, this is a wonderful thing.”
“I would just get lost and time would slip away like mist in the morning and I think when you’re losing track of time, you’re really living.”
- Stuck In Customs, Trey’s photo
- Trey’s HDR Photography tutorial
- The Arcanum
- Snapseed iPhone camera app
- Snapseed Android camera app
- Trey’s favorite book series, The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicle)
- Stuck on Earth app
Featured photo by Trey Ratcliff
Music Credit: Intrepid Journey, by Aaron Static
Like the show? I’d love a rating and review!
Take action and please share the show! All you have to do is click one of the social sharing buttons at the top of this post.
Also please leave a rating or review on iTunes! It just takes a second and you can help the show increase its rankings on iTunes just by this simple and quick gesture. If you do, click here to let me know so I can personally thank you!
Thank you so much for your support!
See you next time!